Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Peachy" Coin Quilt Is So Much Fun!

I've just become someone who makes quilts. No, not a quilter. Not yet. Having not quite finished my first ever quilt, a crib sized coin quilt, I can't assume the title of quilter just yet. I have to confess that I've never really liked quilts. I mean, the craftsmanship and artistry of a beautifully pieced project was always evident, but in general quilts were too full of crazy colours and calico prints and seemed to reek of all the things I don't like about the "country" style. I'm into minimalism and the mid-century modern look, so blue willow teapots quilted onto my bed linen hasn't been on my radar. Somehow, though, I've discovered that modern design and quilting can actually go together beautifully.

About a week ago I googled "modern quilts". Who knows why, or what whisper of interest sparked my search, but there it was. The Flickr group "Fresh Modern Quilts" hailed with gorgeous photos. I was hooked. I wanted to make my own. I'm on holiday in Toronto with no sewing machine and no pins and no iron, but these were not major hurdles. If I found the quilts on Sunday, then by Wednesday I had my fabric, basic acoutrements, and an older machine from Craigslist. A new creative activity was underway.

As a relatively competent sewer, embarking on a quilt with no prior experience, no class, and no mentor has been fine. I've scoured the internet for blogs and sites to give me inspiration and advice, and discovered that I share much with many other fabulous ladies out there who are also into designing lovely, fresh quilt canvases. Thank you all, for taking the time to write about your projects. I hope I can eventually have a "finished quilts" section too!

No comments:

Post a Comment